Monday, June 11, 2012

Tip #1 to Future Parents of Kindergarteners

When it's time for your child to start school, there's so many things running through your mind. What school do I put him/her in? Public or private? Do I buy the name brand supplies or the cheap ones? Do I let him/her ride the bus or take them to school myself? Will they have a nice teacher? Half day or full day? Will they make friends? What if they get bullied? Now that JAM has completed Kindergarten, I decided to give a little insight to future parents of Kindergartners. Everyone's experience is different, but maybe if I share mine, your experience will be a little less rocky.


The biggest piece of advice I can give any parent going through this is communication is key. Keep in complete contact with your child's teacher. Also, talk to your child about their school experience every day. Miscommunication is very easy to do, but also very easy to fix. Volunteering can strengthen that bond and communication with your child's teacher AND with your child. Also, just relax!! Both Mahal and I had our heart strings tugged when taking JAM to his first day of Kindergarten, but know that everything will be ok. He'll have his moments throughout the year, but you have to teach him/her how to handle the situation NOT fix it for him. This little trick will pay off in the end run no matter how hard it is for you to just sit back and watch. We all learned most of our knowledge through experience. Now it's time to let your little one do the same. All of this seems like common sense and so easy to do, but we all know what they say about common sense, and when it comes to your kids things don't always come so easy when you have to let go a little. Check out my other tips to future parents of kindergarteners: Tip #2, Tip #3, and Tip #4



If you are a veteran Kindergarten mom or dad, what are some tips that you have?


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading all your thoughts and comments!