Saturday, December 20, 2014

Graduation Day!



Photo credit: Tonnya Norbury Photography

Today, I graduate from college! A lot has taken place in these short 26 years of my life, and if you are reading this it’s because you have played a significant role somewhere along the way, if not throughout the whole process. Without you, I probably wouldn’t have been able to walk across this stage. I bet most of you don’t even know how much of an impact you made throughout the years. You taught me how to work hard, you taught me how to say focused, and you taught me that nothing is ever handed to you. My mom and dad divorcing provided some struggles throughout my childhood years, but thanks to the amazing support of my friends, family, and the courage of my strong-willed single mother, I was able to make it through.

At the age of 17, I found out that I was expecting my first child, which started my adulthood chapter off with a bang. Many turned their back on me, many judged, and many even said I’d amount to nothing. My high school counselor didn’t even take me seriously when I met with him to figure out my college plans. However, you all still stuck by my side. My 18th birthday party/ baby shower was definitely awkward for many that attended, including myself, but you still came. You supported me and reminded me that I was never alone. That day I promised that I will continue to reach for the stars and I did. Finally, all of my hard work paid off.

With your help and support, I graduated from high school and now I can proudly say that I am a college graduate as well. There were a lot of twists and turns along the way. I moved to a whole other state, I changed majors, and I even switched to a more expensive private school. It was scary and there were a lot of unknowns but thanks to your encouraging words and the grace of God I stand here in front of you tall and proud. I have officially earned a Bachelor of Science Degree in Technical Management with a specialization in Business Information Systems from DeVry University. To some it’s just a piece of paper, but for me I’ve invested my blood, sweat and tears into my education. Not only did I show myself that I can do it, but I confidently know can provide an even better future for my family. From the bottom of my heart I thank you all. Thank you for being amazing role models. Thank you for being my shoulder to cry on and for letting me talk your ear off. Thank you for your guidance. Thank you for pushing me. Thank you for being my cheerleader. I can’t wait to see what this next chapter in my life holds. I FINALLY DID IT!!




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading all your thoughts and comments!