Friday, November 8, 2013

Movie Screening: Thor - The Dark World


I honestly have not seen the first Thor movie that came out so when JAM and I were invited to see a press screening of "Thor: The Dark World", I was a little worried that I'd have a hard time following this new movie. The only background information I knew about Thor was from what I've seen in The Avengers movie and from whatever JAM told me about Thor. For all of you newbie's out there, here a synopsis of the second Thor movie in the series:

Marvel’s "Thor: The Dark World" continues the big-screen adventures of Thor, the Mighty Avenger, as he battles to save Earth and all the Nine Realms from a shadowy enemy that predates the universe itself.  In the aftermath of Marvel’s "Thor" and "Marvel’s The Avengers," Thor fights to restore order across the cosmos...but an ancient race led by the vengeful Malekith returns to plunge the universe back into darkness. To defeat an enemy that even Odin and Asgard cannot withstand, Thor sets upon his most dangerous and personal journey yet, forced into an alliance with the treacherous Loki to save not only his people and those he loves…but our universe itself.
"Marvel's Thor: The Dark World"..L to R: Loki (Tom Hiddleston) and Thor (Chris Hemsworth) ..Ph: Film Frame..© 2013 MVLFFLLC. TM & © 2013 Marvel. All Rights Reserved.

I was actually surprised at how much I enjoyed the movie. I'm not a major super hero buff, but having a 7 year old son, super heroes are kind of hard to avoid. Like I've said before, the only Marvel movie I've ever taken interest to was "Marvel's The Avengers". "Thor: The Dark World" was comical yet action-packed. There were so many twists and turns throughout the movie that it definitely kept you on your toes. This movie is shown in Digital 3D and RealD so JAM and I wore those neat theater glasses. The graphics of the movie were breathtaking, especially in scenes where they are visiting Thor's home of Asgard. I remember sitting in the theater wishing that I could be the gatekeeper of Asgard for a day just to witness the beautiful views. When it comes to Natalie Portman's movies, I feel like it's a hit or miss type of situation. However, in this movie, Natalie Portman's charater paired with Chris Hemsworth's wittiness as Thor, the movie was definitely a hit. I'm not familiar with much of Chris Hemsworth's work, but he did a stand out job playing Thor. I expected him to be this macho, "hoo-rah" type of guy, but he ended up being strong, caring, and quite funny throughout the movie. In the end,  Kat Denning's character, Darcy, ended up being my favorite character from the movie. Her gung ho personality paired with her hilarious sarcasm was totally relatable to me, and she kept the movie light-hearted when necessary in my opinion.
 
HOLLYWOOD, CA - NOVEMBER 04: Actress Kat Dennings attends Marvel's "Thor: The Dark World" Premiere at the El Capitan Theatre on November 4, 2013 in Hollywood, California. (Photo by Rich Polk/WireImage)

All in all it was a great movie and a must-see this weekend. All the characters were excellent in the movie regardless if their part was major or minor. JAM had a blast and loved every moment of the movie. Go figure his favorite character aside from Thor was his brother Loki. JAM is always amazed by Loki's witchcraft and illusions. As usual, stay until after the credits role to get a great bonus scene in the end *wink wink*.


THOR: The Dark World opens nationwide on Friday, November 8, 2013



Are you planning on checking out "Thor: The Dark World" this weekend?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading all your thoughts and comments!