Friday, April 19, 2013

Losing a Loved One

Although this week has been a tough and tragic week in American history, my mom's family is experience a little grief of their own. Before the holidays, my maternal grandmother's brother had passed. This was her second of three brothers that has passed. I guess you could say that she was fortunate enough to be in the Philippines when it happened so that she was able to say her goodbyes. Well, while everyone else was finishing up their taxes on Monday, my family was grieving over the loss of my grandma's last brother, Flory.



My grandparents just flew to the Philippines a couple weeks ago for another vacation. My Tito (uncle) Flory has been in the Philippines since before the holidays. He was the youngest of them all, and was another member of my family who has left us too soon. For those of you who didn't know, most of my family members grew up living under the same room in my grandparents home, including Tito Flory. He babysat my little sister and I when my mom had to work and he's left left us with a ton of great childhood memories. He was always cracking jokes and doing silly dances. In my family we do this thing to our elders where we'd "bless", which meant that the kids would take the elder's hand and place their knuckles to our forehead. Sounds interesting, I know, but it's a tradition we were raised on and something we always would do after church. Anyways, if you know my mom's family, you know that Johnnie Walker is a staple for family get togethers.  It sounds bad but with enough Johnnie Walker in his system, Tito Flory would have all the kids line up in front of him and if we "blessed", he would give us a dollar. The two things have no correlation whatsoever, unless it has to do with Tito Flory haha.

Once we got older, Tito Flory moved to Canada to live with his son's family so I haven't seen him in years. I honestly don't know how to feel about the current situation. I guess it's one of those things that since I haven't seen him myself, it's not a reality to me that he passed. Tito Flory leaves behind a wife, son, daughter, and five grandkids. His wife wasn't able to leave the country to attend the services in the Philippines since she's going through health treatments herself, and the doctor didn't feel comfortable signing her bill of health to fly in her current condition despite the situation. His son and daughter, however, took a next-day flight to the Philippines to be with their dad. I think the hardest thing for my family is that most of us can't attend the services ourselves. One ticket to the Philippines is about $1500 for a next-day flight. My mom thankfully was able to join her cousins for moral support. She hasn't been back "home" since the 80s!

I know that this post is kind of personal, but my readers have always been there for me through good times and bad. I've been hesitant to post this, but right now it's the best outlet for me to cope. Tito Flory, I know you understand the circumstances and why we can't meet one last time. I hate to see you go. I hope you find happiness in Heaven and are reunited with your two older brothers. I know they're waiting with open arms. Say hi to my Grandma (dad's mom) and Tita Odette for me. I miss you all so much but I know you're always with me. I just have to have faith and remember that I'll see you all again one day.


I know that many of my readers may not be religious or may have the same faith as me, but during these troubled times I'm asking for your prayers. Not only for my family and Tito Flory's family, but more for my Grandma. She's the rock of our family and although I know that she's being strong, she just buried her second brother within a six month period. Help her find a healing heart and help her find comfort she needs during these troubled times because I know deep inside she's hurting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading all your thoughts and comments!