Thursday, July 5, 2012

Recipe: Chorizo Quesadillas with Guacamole

Two items we typically always have in our house is tortillas and chorizo. Simply because you can do so many things with tortillas, and chorizo is a quick and simple thing to cook. If they want a quick snack, Mahal and JAM like to request quesadillas. I've done the plain and simple cheese quesadillas, and I've also tried to make them with chicken. Then I had an aha! moment just like when I thought that mixing my two favorite foods, Mexican and pasta, into one dish for taco pasta salad was genius. Why not make two simple dishes into one?! So here we have it! Chorizo quesadillas with guacamole. If you didn't know, for the LONGEST time i despised guacamole. I know I know, I was probably the only one on this planet that did, but the more I tried it, the more I liked it! It was more of an acquired taste for me. I just made guac for the first time to pair with this recipe and it turned out great in my opinion. This recipe made 6-7 quesadillas. Adjust the ingredients to your liking. ENJOY!!

Chorizo Quesadillas with Guacamole

Ingredients:

9 oz pork chorizo, casing removed
1 small red onion, chopped
1 to 2 cups white button mushrooms, stems removed and chopped
1 large poblano pepper, seeded and chopped
Salt and black pepper to taste
Shredded Monterey Jack cheese
Medium- sized corn tortillas
Guacamole

Directions:
1. Cook chorizo on medium heat until browned and break up the meat into smaller pieces.

2. Add the onion, mushrooms, and poblano pepper. Sauté it all, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are browned. Season with salt and black pepper.

3. Heat a small skillet on medium heat. Spray the pan with nonstick cooking spray and add a tortilla onto the skillet. Put about a 1/2 a cup of cheese onto the tortilla and top with the chorizo mixture. Top the chorizo mixture with another tortilla.

4. Heat the tortilla until it is browned and flip the quesadilla to brown the top tortilla and fully melt the cheese. Cut into 4 wedges and serve with the guacamole.


Guacamole
Ingredients:
3 avocados
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 small onion, minced
1 lemon
Cilantro, chopped
1 medium tomato, chopped
Salt

Directions:
1. Scoop out the flesh of avocados and mash until there are no chunks left.
2. Add garlic, onion, juice of lemon, cilantro, and tomato. 
3. Add a pinch of salt for taste. Mix well and Enjoy!





1 comment:

  1. Yummy! I'm a Vegetarian so no chorizo for me but the guac recipe looks amazing! Can't wait to try!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your thoughts and comments!